Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thing #20: Discovering YouTube and a few sites that allow you to upload video

YouTube has lots of facinating stuff!
What did you like?
++ I liked that you can search by topic, that you can see the time length of the video and that you can see the titles of the music. Setting up a YouTube account and sending a video to a blog was really easy.

What did you dislike about the site?
-- I found a video I really liked, and as I was trying to send it to my blog, I lost it:( After trying again several times, I wasn't able to locate it again. Finally... I did find that video again, but I found one that I liked even better. I was able to create an account with YouTube and send it to my blog.

Why did you chose the video that you did?
This past spring a robin laid 4 beautiful blue eggs in a nest under our deck. Shortly after that I began working on 23 Things. I thought of the eggs as being ideas waiting to hatch, so I took a photo of the nest and posted it to my blog. I thought of the little robins growing--from hatchlings to fledglings to young birds ready to take flight--as being similar to ideas that take time to grow, "stretch their wings" in my mind, and finally fly. I have posted photos of growiing robins all through my blog. I was delighted to find the YouTube video of a whole flock of robins (...think ideas!...) taking flight. It was the perfect culmination for this learning activity. "Fly, Robin, Fly" !

Can you see any features or components of the site that might be interesting if they were applied to library websites?
Oh, yes. How about YouTube videos on our library website? Or using them in Pipeline?

No comments: